The Coalfield Geology Council of NSW is the representative body for geologists working in the coal industry. The Council was originally formed in 1961 as the Standing Committee on Coalfield Geology of New South Wales. Over the past 50 years the Council has been a driving force in defining the stratigraphy of NSW, writing standards and codes for exploration and estimating resources, and promoting the advancement of technology in geological exploration.
The aim of the Council is the advancement of Coalfield Geology of New South Wales by activities including among other things:
- Providing a forum for the sharing of information on the geology of the coalfields of NSW and techniques for the understanding of the contained coal resources and their exploration and extraction.
- The provision of effective industry/government consultation on all matters involving coalfield and mining geology.
- Promote liaison with other Australian coal geology groups with a view to the establishment and revision of codes, standards and guidelines for exploration and mining geology.
- Exchange of ideas on geoscience techniques and terms employed in coalfield geology with a view to standardisation.
- The appropriate distribution of the results of the Council’s considerations and activities.
The Council meets four times a year, at various mine sites and other professional bodies around NSW. We usually meet on the first Friday of March, June, September and December. Details of each upcoming meeting will be emailed to all members three weeks prior to each meeting.
Our constitution was last updated in December 2019 – It can be seen here: CGC constitution
Our Executive – June 2021 to June 2023
The executive of the council deals with business between quarterly meetings, determines which matters warrant action by the Executive and which should be stood over for the consideration of the full Council. The executive also co-ordinates the technical program for the Council.
The Chairperson and Executive are elected by the council, with terms lasting for two years.